Friday, January 27, 2012

MY FIRST SEMESTER IN ISLINGTON COLLEGE


Computers attract me the most and I feel extremely grateful to have got an opportunity studying computing from an internationally recognized university here in Nepal. .
I always wondered how software works, how coding is done and about other features of them, this has inspired me to choose computing. My curiosity dragged me to this IT field and I expect to learn more about computers and the relevant topics here in Islington College.

We had four modules in this semester. The first module is “Logic” where we get to learn topics related to mathematics. For me this was the easiest module as we were already familiar with the contents during our school and college. However, some topics were very new but the support from the lecturer helped me to get better understanding of the module. Further, constant practice in tutorial classes and proper study at home made me do good in the exams.

The “Problem Solving for IT” module was focused on Pseudocodes, Flowcharts and other programming related topics. This module also introduced us to Microsoft package and we also have submitted our coursework done in MS-Access and Ms-Excel. This module has improved my problem solving skills and enhanced my knowledge on MS Office package

The next module “Study Skills for Computing” deals with personal development, proper planning and developing various skills. Each one of us got actively involved in report writing, Personal Development Portfolio and Blog creation. Apart from this we also had a group presentation where I got to learn many skills needed for a proper team work. 

The most difficult module for me was “Introduction to Programming”. This module was totally concerned about programming. We also had to submit course works which was based on Java programming language and we had to implement the coding in BlueJ which definitely helped me to have a better understanding of programming languages.

As this was my first semester everything didn’t go as smooth as I had expected but the feedbacks from my lecturers and tutors helped a lot to improve my area of weakness, be rather confident and career oriented. I was weak in programming so I couldn’t do well in “Introduction to programming” module but the lecturer suggested me to practice more programming as a result I have better programming concept now. I hesitated to present myself in front of large number of people but the constant support and encouragement of lecturers boosted my confidence. I scored good marks in “Logic” module and the tutor encouraged me to practice more and score even better in the coming exams.

The moment I entered the college was the moment I thought I would be making a difference in the crowd of students here and  I was quite confident in achieving my goals. Nothing ever goes exactly as planned so I was not all up to my expectations but I was definitely close to my goals. Next semester I’m sure to correct my flaws and I’ll be hoping to do exactly what I’ll be expecting from myself for that I’ll be focusing on my study at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment